Choose the best, choose WriteSmarter.
Is writing a dream you would like to realise?
- Do you fantasise about seeing your own book or story in print?
- Have you submitted a manuscript to a publisher and had no response?
- Do you feel that a lack of know-how, guidance and feedback is standing in your way?
Here is the answer. The Eight Module WriteSmarter Creative Writing Course has been designed to lead you step by step from finding a suitable story spark to publication of your short story or novel.
- Easy access to a computer and email.
- The desire to become an accomplished writer.
You will receive:
- Course material and writing aids you will refer to many times during your writing career.
- Feedback and guidance by an experienced writer/editor within seven days.
- Affordable payment plans and a money back guarantee.
- Enough time to complete your course at your own pace.
Do you wonder why a writing course is at all important?
First, the industry has become so specialised it's not easy for an outsider to be successful. Second, publishers are in the publishing business and just can’t afford the time and the effort to help develop new authors. Third, we share our contacts and expertise with students in order to help place promising manuscripts.
WriteSmarter: Creative Writing
Eight Module Plan
Module 1: Points of Departure
- Study the Golden Rules for a successful story.
- Analyse the requirements of your target market.
- Master five practical writing secrets.
- Learn from the opposition.
- Switch on the ideas machine …
ASSIGNMENT: Utilise story sparks and free writing.
Module 2: Planning & Preparation
- Expand your vocabulary, power of expression and language usage.
- Study the five components of a successful story.
- Find out how to apply the three acts formula.
- Learn from successful storylines.
- Explore the story framework.
ASSIGNMENT: Create story material using the Five Minute Method and the Story Plan.
Module 3: Characters & Dialogue
- WRITING AID: Develop convincing, exciting, living, breathing characters.
- Utilise the connections between character and plot.
- Find your characters’ “own voice”.
- Study guidelines for effective dialogue and practice them.
ASSIGNMENT: Develop a lifelike character with an own agenda, dreams and fears.
Module 4: Setting & Point of View
- Determine the impact of setting on a story.
- Choose and develop a setting that will further your plot.
- Study the secrets of point of view.
- Experiment with different points of view.
ASSIGNMENT: Apply the principles of point of view.
Module 5: Strong Beginnings
- Find out where and how a scene begins and ends.
- Explore the conditions for effective scenes.
- Utilise the building blocks of a strong manuscript: ten winning scenes, show and tell, etc.
- Learn to write an opening scene that WORKS.
- Find out how an effective first chapter is put together.
ASSIGNMENT: Write a strong beginning.
Module 6: Develop a Scene Plan
- Plan a convincing, conflict-riddled plot.
- Structure your story with a chapter plan.
- WRITING AID: Simplify the writing process with a scene plan.
- Find out how to complete your manuscript with stimulus and response.
ASSIGNMENT: Write a complete scene utilising stimulus and response.
Module 7: Cliffhangers & Jump Cuts
- Apply winning techniques to create winning scenes.
- Structure effective scenes.
- Plan and write a motivated ending.
- Develop and write effective cliffhangers.
- Utilise jump cuts and leaps in time.
ASSIGNMENT: Apply jump cuts and cliffhangers.
Module 8: Publishers & Contracts
- Editing and structuring.
- Liven up your writing style with clean-cut metaphors.
- Write a killer cover letter and synopsis.
- Find out about publishers and contracts.
- Make it as a REAL author …
ASSIGNMENT: Complete a winning submission including a cover letter, synopsis and manuscript.
“Thank you so much for your feedback and all your wonderful help these last eight months. Thank you for all the positive comments, and detailed help.” Johanni Ackermann
"I'm pleased that you are so exacting and precise in your commentary." Tamarinda Schreuder
"The course has opened my eyes to things I never even considered before. It helped my writing 100 percent." Monique Majendie
"Thank you so much, it is like a light bulb switching on." Tracy-Lee Eckstein
"I appreciate your comments and advice. This course is the best thing I could ever have invested in!" Angela van Druten
"I appreciate the feedback so much. Now I'm really glad that I signed up for this course." Abongile Tyopo
"The feedback is both positive and constructive." Chris Asals
"I have learned a great deal about writing and I appreciate all your help." Anthony Southby
"Thank you for the detailed feedback. I can feel the growth even as I write this." Themba Ntuli
"I feel that I have found someone who can help me shift my writing to the next level." Michelle Bode
"I was battling to set a proper scene. Your story writing course is just what I needed." Leon Steyn
"I implemented the changes you recommended and you were so right." Coleen Kennedy
"It is wonderful having a mentor to guide me and make suggestions. I never want this course to end." Geoff Erasmus
"I really enjoyed this module. It was a lot to take in but I learned so much." Ntombi Langa
"It feels as if my brain has been kick-started." Mariska Henn
"Just finished reading through your comments. It's good to feel your guidance and support." Suzel Pilou
"Thank you so much for helping me get closer to my dream." Brigitte Kearns
"I was amazed at how 'punchy' some of the paragraphs became after you altered them!" Costa Pantazis
"You won't believe what an awesome time I had doing this course." Mariki Naude
"I have not had this much fun in years." Brigitte Kearns
"It is the best money I have ever spent." Vicki Smith